Saturday, January 23, 2010

GERD


A long awaited diagnosis. Landon has always been noticably smaller than Jackson but the end of December he acted as though he was choking on something and then threw up. The week before Brenna had a stomach virus for 3 days and could not keep any food/water down... so I naturally thought that Landon had caught the bug. He threw up one more time that night and then the next day seemed to be better. I kept his bottles/spoons separate from Jacksons just in case.

I noticed a few days later that he was declining solid foods and when he did take some... he would regurgitate it up. Then he was drooling alot and did not seem to swallow well. He also would cry if not medicated. I took him to the doctor and the doctor dignosed him as possible viral pharyngitis and told me he would be better in a few days.

A week later, Landon was still now eating solids. He was taking puree though, and I was still feeding him mostly breast milk. Now he had also started this purring wet breathing. He did not have a cough. It was just in his throat. He never had a fever and never passed it onto Jackson. He also begged for me to hold him constantly.

After a month he finally began swallowing solids again, and playing normal, but the purring continued. He also looked way skinny.

Online led me to believe that he had acid reflux. He lacked the classic symptoms, but had all the other signs. The doctor agreed and medication was started. He is eating alot better and is happy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment