Saturday, August 21, 2010

RIB COOKOFF

The first year that we cooked ribs for the cook off, Shane and I spent HOURS researching the rub, and cooking techniques. We spent hours in front of a hot grill trying to maintain the perfect temperature according to the literature. That year we lost. Turns out that our judges like the sauces better then the rubs...at least that is what I tell myself.

The second year we went the sauce route. It was actually a rub that marinated and then a sauce at the end. I got the recipe from my favorite Iron Chef Bobby Flay. As I added the ODD ingredients together I was afraid to serve it. Turns out Bobby Flay is an Iron Chef for a reason. I WON!!!I spent the good part of the afternoon over Josh's shoulder as he decorated winner apron. I was SOO HAPPY that I got it.

This year was a little more complicated. Shane gave me a few days warning. I researched online and found a recipe that I thought would do the trick...but...Shane worked all day and my morning got away from me. By the time that I got to the store to buy ribs I was afraid that I would not have enough time to cook them. Oh well, I will just save the recipe for another day and buy these prepackaged, marinaded, precooked Tony Roma ribs from Fred Meyer. With Shane in the EQ presidency I felt that I had a duty to make sure enough ribs arrived to feed everyone.

The ribs took 20 minutes to cook in the oven. As I brought them out to the serving table another gentlemen brought out his smoked, ingeniously seasoned ribs (which I have had before, and salivate over). His beef fullback ribs made my baby back ribs look like slop. Oh well, I wasn't competing anyway but I will not let anyone know which ones are mine because I am embarrassed. I got lost in the party but then they announced the winner. It was ME!!!

I feel guilty...but not guilty enough to return my winnings ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment