Tuesday, August 24, 2010

TRANSMISSION FIASKO

On our way to Crescent Lake a few weeks ago the OD light began to blink. Shane had me read in the manual which only brought doom and gloom for news. Near the end of the trip the truck was shifting really hard and late. We just hoped to make it home after our vacation.

We brought it to a repair shop which I will not reveal unless pressed. The owner did the diagnostics and said "It is toast and undrivable. It needs a new transmission immediately". What? The previous owner had just put in a new transmission about 20,000 miles ago.

I felt so uneasy. The $3000.00 fee that he wanted to charge us was not a worry. We have the money set aside for times like this. I just could not escape my doubts. I also have a friend of a friend who worked at this place and I don't think that the owner is the most wholesome of men. I drove Shane crazy with requests for a second opinion. The owner gave him the error code and Shane finally agreed to call a few places for more opinions.

Before bed one night he got a brilliant idea. He entered the error code into the all wise Google. Google's advice. Unplug the battery for a few minutes then reconnect. What?!! But if it happens again the transmission needs to get repaired.

It worked!!! I was so upset that Mr. Owner did not offer that as an option. Thank you Google, I will consider you first in the future. Sorry Mr. Owner...you lost my trust and business.

***After Shane read this he says that I am very naive...I cannot argue with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment